Bye bye, boring breakfast. These toast topping ideas will change the way you see the start of your day. Make sure your toaster is up for the challenge because you're going to be trying these creative toast recipes every morning.
Healthy Toast Toppings for an Energetic Start to Your Day
Toast can be a vessel for a long list of healthy toppings that give you plenty of nutrition points for the day. Add these toast toppings to your meal plan for the week and get some major motivation in your health journey.
- Peanut Butter and Banana: Creamy peanut butter with banana slices is comforting and filling.
- Hummus and Cucumber: A spread of hummus topped with sliced cucumber is light and refreshing.
- Almond Butter and Apple: Almond butter topped with apple slices makes a well-rounded snack.
- Mozzarella, Tomato, and Basil: A mini Caprese salad on toast? Yes, please!
- Mashed Sweet Potato and Cinnamon: Mashed sweet potato with a sprinkle of cinnamon tastes like dessert but earns you some serious nutrition points.
- Hummus and Grilled Veggies: Hummus topped with assorted grilled veggies is all you need for a yummy and healthy lunch.
- Cream Cheese and Cucumber: Cream cheese with thinly sliced cucumber is a snack worth having more than once.
- Goat Cheese and Honey: Goat cheese with a drizzle of honey is sweet, creamy, and on the lighter side.
- Peanut Butter, Granola, and Honey: Peanut butter with a sprinkle of granola and a drizzle of honey is sweet and filling.
- Hummus and Sprouts: Hummus topped with fresh sprouts gives you energy for a busy day.
- Greek Yogurt, Granola, and Berries: Start your day with a Greek yogurt spread, a sprinkle of granola, and fresh berries on toast.
- Hummus, Cucumber, and Olives: Hummus spread, sliced cucumber, and sliced olives make sticking to your Mediterranean diet easy.
- Tahini, Banana, and Cinnamon: Tahini spread, banana slices, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Greek Yogurt, Honey, and Pomegranate Seeds: Greek yogurt spread, a drizzle of honey, and a sprinkle of pomegranate seeds.
- Peanut Butter, Sliced Apple, and Cinnamon: Make your snack feel like a special treat with peanut butter spread, sliced apple, and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
- Greek Yogurt, Fresh Berries, and Honey: Greek yogurt spread, fresh berries, and a drizzle of honey powers up your standard toast.
- Hummus, Roasted Eggplant, and Pomegranate Seeds: The combo might sound strange at first, but the flavors really work well together.
Toast Toppings Packed With Protein
Toast can be yummy and healthy, but it's also helpful to add some protein to the topping lineup so you feel full long after you tidy up your crumbs. These toast recipes all pack a healthy serving of protein.
- Cream Cheese and Lox: Cream cheese topped with smoked salmon packs a generous amount of protein into your meal.
- Egg and Chives: Go for simple but filling with a scrambled egg topped with fresh chives.
- Smashed Chickpeas and Avocado: Smashed chickpeas mixed with avocado slices are creamy and packed with protein.
- Almond Butter and Chia Seeds: Almond butter with a sprinkle of chia seeds has protein and healthy fats.
- Tuna Salad: Your favorite tuna salad recipe spread on toast is a lunch of champions.
- Peanut Butter, Chia Seeds, and Agave Nectar: Peanut butter spread, a sprinkle of chia seeds, and a drizzle of agave nectar gives you protein with a side of sweet.
- Smoked Salmon, Cucumber, and Cream Cheese: How about a sushi-inspired toast option?
- Scrambled Tofu and Avocado: Protein? Check. Healthy fats? Check. Tons of flavor? Check and check!
- Egg Salad and Mixed Greens: Your fave egg salad recipe on toast fuels you for a busy day.
- Scrambled Eggs & Cottage Cheese: This combo doubles your protein points for breakfast.
Sweet Toast Toppings for Breakfast or Dessert
A little something sweet for your breakfast or even as a snack is an instant mood boost for an ordinary day. Try these sweet toast toppings to satisfy your craving and add a smile to your morning.
- Ricotta and Berries: A spread of ricotta cheese topped with mixed berries is creamy and sweet.
- Mascarpone and Fig: These flavors fit perfectly together for a sweet snack on toast.
- Brie and Honey: Sliced brie cheese with a drizzle of honey feels fancy on an ordinary afternoon.
- Nutella and Strawberries: Chocolate covered strawberry toast, anyone?
- Tahini and Banana: Tahini spread topped with banana slices is sweet and nutritious.
- Gorgonzola and Pear: Gorgonzola cheese with thinly sliced pear might need a perfectly paired glass of wine on the side.
- Ricotta and Peach: A spread of ricotta cheese topped with sliced peaches is a toast twist on peaches and cream.
- Almond Butter and Blueberries: Nut butters and berries were made for each other and toast.
- Peanut Butter and Raspberries: See, made for each other.
- Ricotta, Honey, and Walnuts: Ricotta cheese with a drizzle of honey and chopped walnuts hits all the texture and flavor marks.
- Cream Cheese and Jelly: Nothing really tops the classic combination of cream cheese and your favorite jelly.
- Fig Jam and Brie: Sweet fig jam topped with brie slices. You might want to toast this one in the oven.
- Nutella and Banana: It's bananas how good this combo is.
- Ricotta, Blackberries, and Mint: We recommend fresh berries and mint for this recipe.
- Almond Butter and Dried Cranberries: Almond butter with a sprinkle of dried cranberries is perfect for your holiday season toast meals.
- Fig and Goat Cheese: Fig slices with a spread of goat cheese is simple and flavorful.
- Strawberry Jam and Cream Cheese: Strawberry jam with a spread of cream cheese has a bit of a cheesecake vibe.
- Tahini, Dates, and Honey: Tahini spread, sliced dates, and a drizzle of honey has subtle sweetness.
- Nutella and Coconut Flakes: It's like a Mounds bar for breakfast.
- Ricotta, Almonds, and Honey: Ricotta spread, sliced almonds, and a drizzle of honey brightens your basic breakfast.
- Brie, Apple, and Honey: Brie slices, thinly sliced apple, and a drizzle of honey makes for a dreamy autumn meal.
- Nutella and Sliced Almonds: You just can't go wrong with chocolate and nuts.
- Almond Butter, Sliced Strawberries, and Granola: Almond butter spread, sliced strawberries, and a sprinkle of granola.
- Ricotta, Peach Slices, and Honey: Sweet, fruity, and creamy. We'll toast to that.
Savory Toast Toppings for Any Meal
As a side or as a meal, these toast toppings are packed with flavors you'll savor for the rest of the day. You might feel like a culinary genius after trying these savory toast recipes.
- Goat Cheese and Beets: Goat cheese topped with sliced roasted beets can be savory or sweet.
- Pesto and Tomato: These simple flavors make for a satisfying meal.
- Labneh and Olives: A spread of labneh topped with sliced olives is unexpected but delicious.
- Goat Cheese and Roasted Bell Pepper: Goat cheese topped with roasted bell pepper strips is mostly savory with a touch of sweetness.
- Ham and Swiss: It's a classic combo for a reason.
- Bacon and Tomato: Crispy bacon with fresh tomato slices is a Southern toast combo everyone will love.
- Baked Beans and Cheddar: Bring some English flair to your breakfast menu.
- Cream Cheese and Dill: Cream cheese with a sprinkle of fresh dill is simple but so flavorful.
- Cream Cheese, Smoked Salmon, and Capers: Cream cheese with smoked salmon and a sprinkle of capers is everything you want a breakfast bread topping to be.
- Cream Cheese and Chopped Walnuts: This texture combo is a winner in our book.
- Goat Cheese, Arugula, and Fig Jam: This is a toast recipe worthy of your next dinner party.
- Cream Cheese, Fresh Dill, and Smoked Salmon: Trust us, this one is worth trying.
- Goat Cheese, Roasted Red Peppers, and Arugula: Goat cheese spread, roasted red peppers, and a handful of arugula have the sweet and peppery combo you've been craving.
- Sliced Chicken, BBQ Sauce, and Coleslaw: It's southern, it's savory, and it's just plain good.
- Cream Cheese, Jalapeños, and Bacon: We never met a bacon combo we didn't love, and jalapeños definitely spice things up in the best way.
Best Breads for Making Toast
Before you can start layering on the mouthwatering toast toppings that make your meal flavorful and nutritious, you need to find the perfect bread for your toast base. These breads are your best options for making a creative toast recipe that satisfies.
- Whole Wheat Bread: It toasts perfectly every time and is a great base for sweet or savory toppings.
- Sourdough Bread: If you want a truly crunching toast, sourdough bread is perfect.
- Sprouted or Whole Grain Bread: These breads pack all the nutrition points for your toasted meal.
- English Muffins: All those nooks and grannies hold your toast flavors in place.
- Rye Bread: This bread offers a strong flavor and pleasant texture for all your toast topping combos.
- White Bread: It's a classic for a reason. White bread works well for nearly every topping imaginable.
A Toast to Toast
See? Toast can be exciting and delicious! Make sure your toaster is running properly because you're going to be using it often with this long list of toast topping combos.